Wednesday, January 16, 2008

my daemon

okay, i realize i am outing myself as a huge fantasy geek, but i don't care and those of you who know me well know this about me already. drew and i are great fans of the his dark materials trilogy by philip pullman: the golden compass, the subtle knife, and the amber spyglass. if you have not read these books, do so. immediately. i cannot even begin to tell you what you are missing out on by not having read these books and entering the many magical worlds contained within their pages.

anyway, they made a movie out of the golden compass and it's quite good, we thoroughly enjoyed it. i was looking at my friend darcy's blog today and on the movie web site you can find out what your daemon is!!!! so here's mine, his name is callum, and i think he's just beautiful. :)



daemons are physical manifestations of your soul. we don't have them here in our world, but in the parallel world that lyra, the main character in the golden compass, lives in, people do. mine was chosen to reflect my personality, which came out as modest, sociable, shy, assertive and outgoing. you can take the quiz and get your own daemon, too. you can ask people to tell you what they think, and i guess if enough people disagree your daemon changes. in the book that's when your daemon settles but it's not based on what other people think of you, obviously. only children's daemons change form from one animal to another, depending on the person's mood and the situation. when they hit puberty, bam! then they stay in their one, ultimately true, form. thing thing is, i have always had a thing for tigers, i just love them, so i think i am going to be a control freak and not let anyone mess with my daemon, because i was so thrilled when it came up a tiger. and i like the name callum, too.

so... that's what i'm doing today. i hope you're doing something that's just as much fun. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally need to do that with Christine. We actually went to see The Golden Compass as her birthday movie this year (I'll admit, I pulled a "duck & cover" when the bear's jaw flew off... totally wasn't expecting that)! I had no idea!
WHICH BRINGS ME TO THIS:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=52451545

That would be my MySpace page (shut up, Drew. I'm a juvenile at heart, OK?).
Read the entry entitled, "Huh, Sounds like the story of my life". Apropos.